Thursday, March 25, 2010

Tree Shadows

Intro to Fibers: Sample Set 2

Shadows are everywhere; they are all around us. They make up all that we see; there is no escaping them. Author Annie Dillard describes shadows as "defining the real." For, without shadows there would be no third dimension and therefore no seemingly tangible objects. Everything would be flat and only distinguishable by flat color. No textures or shapes would be perceived by sight. Shadows can be vast and miraculous or tiny and gentle. They can be deep and sharp or light and feathered. They are bodies of the absence of light. One could argue that without them there would be no light. Because something without it's opposite is essentially nothing. How else would you notice or describe the something if there is no opposing force?
These bodies decorate the landscape with deep blues and purples. Rarely is a shadow ever black or gray. I find this to be a very interesting idea; no black or gray shadows. This is what I have been exploring with my sample set 2. I've been looking at the different colors and shades of the shadows, tree shadows, to be more specific.

In my weaving sample I used two different color warp yarns. First I decided to go with blue, to stick with my color scheme. Then, I realized that choosing a contrasting color would pop the weaving pattern so that it is more visible. This proved to be true. I thoroughly enjoyed weaving and I hope to practice and master it one day.

For my embroidery I decided to use the bark of a pine tree as inspiration. I drew out a kind of abstracted version of the bark, and that is what I embroidered. Unfortunately I think the dark blue is a little too overpowering, but overall I think it worked out nicely.
For my stamping samples, I used a close up of a photo I took of the shadows of a vine. I dyed a piece of muslin a light blue-violet, and then stamped on top of that.

My repeat pattern used the same stamp as my stamping samples on the same muslin. I then decided to do a kind of watermark on the background of a full tree shadow.

The coiled basket was definitely my favorite sample of the set. I was so excited to do this project from day one, and it did not let me down. I absolutely loved it. I decided to use strips of material, rather than yarn. The fabric ended up fraying as I wrapped it around the rope. It gave the basket a wonderful texture. I purposefully wrapped certain sections in the darker violet because I wanted it to look like those areas were deeper in shadow, or just shadow in general. Instead of doing a traditional basket, I decided to experiment with its form a little. I made the neck seem like it was collapsing in itself.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The basket is kind of flexible. So the top can pop up or be pushed inwards. Same with the bottom. SO much FUN making it.

No comments:

Post a Comment