Sunday, March 15, 2009

Architecture

So a friend of mine, an architecture student, came to my room needing to borrow my computer. Even though what he needed ended up failing, we ended up getting into a mini discussion about architecture. Now, I've never been very interested in architecture much. I actually fail at perspective for the most part. (you'll notice that my every piece has a flat or relatively flat back ground) But what he showed me...makes me very interested. The forms of some of these buildings are just beautiful. I'm especially interested in the forms and how they interact in their environment. I'm pretty excited to eventually research more and get inspiration from these structures and potentially finally learn to USE PERSPECTIVE in my pieces...because it'd be nice to be an artist who has a moderate to good sense of space. hmm

Mountain Dwellings - Copenhagen, Denmark

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Habitat 67 - Montreal

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


56 Leonard Street New York, NY (in progress)


56 Leonard Street from david basulto on Vimeo.

Photobucket
(3d model)

Photobucket
South View

Photobucket
Northwest View (I really really really like this view)

Also, looking at these reminded me of a former teacher of mine, Mr. Kieth Perelli. He's an ASTOUNDING artist. Oh my gooooddneeeessss he has an amazing knack for space, placement, color, composition, theme, DETAIL, rendering. He's just... the poo.

Everyyyoneeee should go look at his work. Because, it'll definitely make you not believe it's even real... oh but it is, and its great.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/perelli/

Here is the piece that I was initially reminded of::

Radial Arc 6'x8'-2006

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

:D


And Gabby and I went Skiiiiiinnnnggggg last weekend in Boon, North Carolinaaaaa.

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. J-

    It's funny because your convo with your friend sounded JUST like ones I've had with my dad. I think you know this, but he's an engineer (structural...basically an architect), and he's so into glass and metals and ...other elements. And here I am, the actor and spokesperson son. Luckily he's supportive, but I remember going to his office when I was little and it was SOOO boring. But as I get older, I've learned to appreciate his craft more and more bc it is an artform. It's amazing how as we grow up we learn to find beauty in things besides ourselves.

    ...I'm gonna call my Dad now and say hi thanks to you :-) Great post!

    Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shawn!
    This post was just for you and your dad btw.
    connecting fathers and sons one post at a time!
    Itll save the world.

    ReplyDelete