Sunday, August 14, 2011

"what shall I learn of beans or beans of me?" Thoreau

Photobucket

Solidarity is real interesting. I've been spending time with only myself for the past three days straight. I guess most of my time here has been spent that way. Me and I have a great time, it's been interestante. But I have definitely had a nice share of great great company over these last five weeks. I've met people I'll never forget and have had some wonderful times.

But in these last three days I have been rather immobile as well. It's really interesting how un-tired of drawing I am and how extremely over the consumption of ham sandwiches I am. SO TIRED OF HAM SANDWICHES.

With my alone time, I've decided to put my thoughts towards something productive. I've been thinking a lot about the future. Not that this is anything new to me, but really, I've been really contemplating it specifically. You know, that question that you get asked over a million.5 times in your life, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" The time has come, sort of.

Alive. Is my answer...a little obvious.

But, to be that I have to make some sort of income, income that makes me happy. Happy is the key word here. I've realized that even with all this pressure (that I so badly want to rebel against) to get a "career" started immediately after graduating, I've realized that I actually want to get a job… Not because that's what everyone is "suppose" to do, or even because I'm going to be in mega debt, but because it really is what I want to do. I want make art, I want to contribute to that world and luckily, it's something I can get paid for. Of course I want to travel and walk all over this planet, and I will, but all these things can be woven together. There's no need to "get the travel bug out of the way." That guy is stuck on me and permanent.

So that's how far I've gotten. I haven't actually come up with any decision. I'll just maybe start there when I get there and see where that takes me, wherever there may be. I'm guessing it'll be somewhere.

I went to the Land of Wonder on Monday. The British Museum I mean. If the V&A and the Natural History Museum had a baby it would be named The British Museum. It was completely LOVELY. Especially the Enlightenment room. What a great collection of STUFF. Such nice bowls, bits of tree, small carved t h i n g s, garments, trinkets, statues, animal pieces, chunks of building (which is almost quite sad to see), jewelry, art, religious paraphernalia, and dead bodies. What a day.

Photobucket

Photobucket

bits of tree. I want a case like this.
Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

I love this image. I'm not sure why, but it makes me really happy inside.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I REALLY like this guy ALOT.
Photobucket


Then Tuesday I went to Oxford. That was a beautiful day of blue skies, scholarly buildings, and good company. The Natural History Museum in Oxford and Pitts River Museum are basically a mini version of the British Museum on crack. Outside were HUGE chunks of TREES from Africa. BEAUTIFUL TREES. Of which had all fallen down from natural causes. There was an AMAZING collection of insects, seedpods, textiles, and dinosaur stamps. The Pitts River Museum is basically a large room PACKED with glass cases and drawers of things from everywhere.

Photobucket

Those are great bricks. All day I walked around in this complementary city. BLUE skies and orange architecture.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

yumyumyumyumYUMYUMYUMMMM
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

If I were a grasshopper, I'd want to be this.
Photobucket


I think this tree and I are related.
I walked through Regents Park one afternoon after it had rained. Everything was sopping and beautiful. I watched a confused swan and clever ducks for about 20 minutes and got lost.
Photobucket

And then I saw her.
Photobucket

Oh Happy Days.

No comments:

Post a Comment