Saturday, June 11, 2011

slow ride

The slow route seems to be the most rewarding. It's interesting how life sometimes forces you to slow down. Because of my inability to put air in bike tires with a manual pump, I had to walk home last night. As I did so, I passed a large rectangular ground light...aka an insect graveyard. As I passed it I heard some clinking around, so I turned back to investigate. And low and behold... it was a cicada :) I'd never seen a live one after it has molted. It made me smile. So, I rescued it from it's burning demise and took him home with me. He was a lot smaller than I've known cicadas to be. As we walked home he crawled over my hands and up my arms. I took him upstairs and drew him. As he hung out on my finger I felt a pinch. I turned him around to see that he was piercing me with his straw mouth. He thought I was a plant and was trying to suck out my sap! At that point I learned that even with his seemingly broken wing, that he could fly. I observed and read later that cicadas are TERRIBLE flyers. He kept running into EVERYTHING..but always landed back on me. It was real sweet, obviously it meant nothing..or that he could feel that I was warm..but it was still sweet.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Also, my cowbutts made the SCAD website. awesome.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment